Health Insurance Waiver or Enrollment
on The University Sponsored Insurance Plan:
The University of Toledo has partnered with Medical Mutual to offer students health insurance coverage for the upcoming academic year. Any student* enrolled in one or more credit hours at The University is eligible to enroll a University Sponsored Insurance Plan, however, The University mandates participation in a sponsored health plan for international students and medical students who are enrolled in 1 or more credit hours and all other students enrolled in 6 or more on-campus credit hours.
* Concurrent students who are enrolled in High School are not eligible for any University sponsored plan.
The University understands that some students may already have adequate health insurance coverage. If you meet the University approved waiver criteria listed below, then you may opt to ANNUALLY waive this coverage by clicking on the Request Waiver link at the bottom of the page.
1. If the student is covered on a plan which has comparable coverage or has better benefits than the University sponsored base plan for which the student is eligible, including coverage in Toledo area hospitals.
2. If the student is covered by Ohio Medicaid or Medicare.
3. International students with Embassy Sponsored Health Insurance.
4. International students whose health insurance is covered through an Exchange Agreement.
5. Concurrent students who are enrolled at another University or College and covered by that institution's sponsored plan.
Students may request to waive their insurance by clicking on the Request Waiver link on Student Health Insurance (Change Enrollment Plan or Request Waiver) self-service page by the applicable deadline.
To process the waiver request, you will need to obtain the following from the insurance card in which you are covered:
- Insurance Provider
- Policy Number (Identification Number)
- Group Number
- Group Name
- Relationship to Insurer
You will be notified if the waiver request has been accepted via your
UT email address. Once accepted, the insurance charge will be removed from your
The student health insurance fee will remain on your student account in the event your waiver request was denied. If you need assistance or need to provide additional waiver information, please contact the Student Health Insurance Office on the Main Campus Medical Center at 419.530.3474.
At any point during the academic year, if you lose coverage and are mandated by University policy to carry health insurance coverage, you need to contact Student Health Insurance Office on the Main Campus Medical Center at 419.530.3474. For any qualifying event listed below, Medical Mutual will immediately enroll you and pro-rate your premium. You will be responsible for paying Medical Mutual of Ohio directly.
1. The student or dependent is no longer eligible/covered on the plan they had at the time of the initial enrollment.
2. The student or dependent was covered under COBRA continuation coverage and such coverage was exhausted; or the student or dependent loses eligibility for the coverage due to death, divorce, legal separation, termination of employment or termination of employer contributions for the coverage.
3. The marriage and birth or adoption of dependent(s) is also considered as a qualifying event.
4. A student enrolled at the University after the initial enrollment period.
about Assessed Fee:
If you are enrolled for less than 6 credit hours and have been assessed the student health insurance fee or have questions about your health insurance, please call the Student Health Insurance Administrator at 419.530.3474.
Change Plan Levels:
The University of Toledo has secured two plans for all students. The two plans include (1) basic Plan 1, (2) enhanced Plan 2. You have the choice to enroll in the plan that best fits for your needs. Your University e-Statement will be updated to reflect any change in plan levels.
in a University Sponsored program:
Any student enrolled in one or more credit hours may enroll in a University Sponsored Health Insurance plan. For students not mandated to carry insurance, you must enroll via myUT www.myut.utoledo.edu (Under “My Registration Steps”, click Health Insurance – Change or Waive, select the appropriate term, click Enroll and then fill in the appropriate information) must be paid by credit card at the time of enrollment directly to Medical Mutual of Ohio; you will have the option of paying the premium on an annual or semester basis.
The University of Toledo has secured special rates for students if they wish to add dependents and spouses to their coverage. To add dependents and spouses to your plan, you must enroll them via myUT www.myut.utoledo.edu (Under “My Registration Steps”, click Health Insurance – Change or Waive, select the appropriate term, click Add Dependent or Spouse and then fill in the appropriate information). The premium for dependents and spouses must be paid by credit card at the time of enrollment directly to Medical Mutual of Ohio; you will have the option of paying the premium on an annual or semester basis.